Sweet and sassy. True and raw. Isn't life delicious?

Sweet and sassy. True and raw. This is the place I empty my head and open my heart.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dare to Bare #2- Snowboarding: "Oh Snow I did- in't! and then I did"


Even though I am not Catholic, I decided for Lent I would give up disappointment. That includes giving up the power that feeling of being disappointed in myself, in others, in circumstances or situations. Doing so, would mean I would need to lower my expectaions- to go with the flow and not resist what changes occur.
Today, that challenge seems hard to meet. Today, I was all set to complete my Dare To Bare for February- Snowboarding.

By 7:30am, Athena and I were on our way up to Mt. Hood. I was pumped! We stopped and got the traditional Chorizo Burritos. We pateintly waited to get by the jack-knifed Semi in the other lane, hodling up traffic. We braved the road up to Timberline (with Athena telling me the drive up today was in "The Top 5 Worst Drives Up to Timberline She Has Ever Experienced In The 12 Years She Has Been Snowboarding"
, only to be met with a freakish wind, blowing up snow in the worst way possible. White Out conditions all the way. Then, Athena's Suburu got stuck in the parking lot- if that tells you anything about what it was like at the top. That picture is the only one I got on our way out. Athena's friends from Chill (http://www.chill.org/), the volunteer program she participates in every Saturday during the Winter season, came and met us in the parking lot, to help us out of it. They too were not going to stay, and in fact that days Chill Lesson was looking like it was on the verge of being canceled. All signs pointed to me not getting on the board today. As sad as I am about that, I also trust Athena implicitly and know that if she isn't willing to go for it- I probably shouldn't either.

Which is why we are committing to trying again next Saturday.

To combat my disappointment, Athena and I decided a movie and a burger was the best antiserum. We found ourselves in Hillsboro, (which feels like being in the Twilight Zone for both of us now, since we never go out there really. I my Hometown #2, always feels a little strange now...but that is a whole other post...). We took in a viewing of "The Vow", where we were 2 out of 4 people also enjoying the lovliness that is Channing Tatum (now granted those wedding vows were kind of cheezy, but what it comes down to is this- sometimes you are just supposed to be with certain people in life, no matter how you get to them. But again, I digress). We then discussed the movie over a burger at Rachel's Classic Burgers (which is Oregon's answer to the In-N-Out Burger. No seriously.. it is. ) By that time it was only 2:30pm, and exhaustion was taking over.

UPDATE: Saturday, March 2, 2012
Well, I went and did it. Dare completed. And... I had fun! It was hard, and I am no where near mastering it. Damn, I wish someone had been there to capture all of my falls on video. That footage would be great for me to watch when I needed a good laugh.
Athena was a fantastic teacher- she left me on my own, there on the Bunny Hill (which at this point feels like Kilamanjaro), and I did a couple of runs/falling down on my ass/ all the way down the hill. I biffed it every time off the lift. We discovered that the bindings on my board need to be adjusted, and that should help in me picking up the feel off it better.
My body did hurt that day, and the day after, but not the way I had anticipated. I think because I have been doing yoga, running, and even my one belly dance class helped. Plus all of the Arnica, Ibuprofen and epsom salt baths helped, I am sure.

The discovery of liking snowboarding has me looking forward to next winter. Since my Dare, both of my brothers have expressed interest in learning too. Uh-oh. All three of us on the mountain at the same time....that's a party I won't want to miss!

Thanks again to one of my bestest friends, Athena, for teaching and hookin' a sister up with a pass for the day. You are my LOML! I had so much fun and I can't wait to do it again. Maybe someday I'll even be able to board the same runs with you!!!

*pictures to follow*

No comments:

Post a Comment