Sweet and sassy. True and raw. Isn't life delicious?

Sweet and sassy. True and raw. This is the place I empty my head and open my heart.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Why My Day Job is A Revolution That Matters

Since I was 17 years old, I have worked in a grocery store. From my senior year in high school, until the tender age of 23, I worked for Haggen. I opened that store in Tanasbourne as a green courtesy clerk on July 31, 1996. It was 108 degrees that day and people were lined up for their grand opening freebies. I would move up in the ranks shortly after my 18th birthday. I cashiered (do you want paper or plastic??"), was a PIC (Person in charge/ front end lead) for a bit, and sometimes helped out with the POS/Pricefile crew and floral crew (I do know how to make corsages, boutonnieres, and balloon bouquets, ladies and gents. Oh yes!). Versatility meant job security. As I grew up in that place, it became apparent that the conventional world wasn't doing it for me. A sense of connection seemed to missing.

In 2001, I felt the need to move onto something a little different. Enter in New Seasons Market. The front end manager at the soon-to-be-open Orenco Station Store, was my previous front end manager at Haggens. She left to open the Raleigh Hills store. I went in for an interview, and a week later I was hired. I didn't even know (or care) how much I was getting paid (I took a $4. pay cut) because already I could sense my disposition was about to significantly change, and more than anything else I needed that.

Never one for academic higher education, I preferred, as my friend Athena calls it, " The University of the Real World". At times, I have felt a bit silly for working at a grocery store when many my friends are collage graduates. The truth is, I get paid a pretty penny more than some of those degree holding peeps (and not just because I am a manager. The starting wage is well above the state minimum). I have a sweet job as the Homegoods Manager. Amazing health benefits and a few other company perks. I eat well ( and I receive a generous company discount when I shop...) and I am educated more than most about the importance of eating and shopping as locally as possible to support our communities. I am immensely proud to a part of an locally owned and operated company that gives 10% of our profits back to local charities, every year. (We have given millions of dollars back to our city in the course of 11 years.) I am contributing to a sustainable equation and highlighting the value of giving superior customer service to everyone with a smile and authenticity- we take care of each other. I also have a warm, diverse and supportive family born of my time spent at 3 different stores over the years. Some friendships have brought much joy and growth into my life. For being my day job- its pretty amazing.

Yesterday, I attended our twice a year all store managers meeting. At these meetings, financial information is shared, guest speakers talk (all local vendors that are successful in part to us!), new directions and initiatives are revealed to inspire, reunions with friends from other stores, good food, laughter and a lot of love. It never fails that at some point in the day, I become overwhelmed by the intensity of the work we are doing together and get misty-eyed and full of pride. I so wish I could invite you all in to see what it is we do on a daily basis behind the scenes. I am humbled and made proud, when I reflect on the work we do everyday. This is not just a grocery store- this is a way of life fueled by a collective mission to contribute positively to our neighborhoods, region and the world. New Seasons Market is a revolution in the grocery world due to our commitment to positive and thoughtful progression. I venture to say it's also a marvel and a wonder to those who are not in it (and actually some of who are). September will mark 10 years since I became a part of the "friendliest store in town". I am a better person for it. Being in this organization has contributed tremendously to my own personal growth. How this company as changed me, is priceless.

One of the surprising things I learned yesterday at our meeting was that Walmart is planing to bring 17 stores into the Portland area over the next couple of years.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uh-oh.

Do people know what that means for our city?
For our communities???
Are people aware of what Walmart does?
They pay low-wages, and generally abuse staff.
They offer poor benefit packages to employees.
They put small Mom & Pop type businesses out of business.
They source low-priced product primarily from foreign places, which puts American made workers out of work and strains the environment with its production and transport.

I am not worried about losing my job or the possible effects compettion may have- I won't let fear drive me to that place. What worries me is how this saturation of Walmart stores will directly and indirectly affect our communities.


This is about voting for love with your dollars, people.

Every-time time you shop somewhere local, that money energy boomerrangs back the dollar into the community it came from in that town- you are voting for love of life and the support of others who love the work they do. Farmers markets, local boutiques, hair salons, cabinet makers, landscapers, greeting card artists, vineyards, restaurants, bookstores. When you give your business to these places you are having a positive effect on your community and contributing to its growth.
I sometimes hear people state that shopping where I work is too expensive. I am fortunate that I receive discount yes (every Weds Seniors 65 or better receive a 10% discount too), and I would still choose shop here even if I didn't. That aside- its really and truly not that more expensive. You get what you pay for, my friends. Quality vs quantity is the name of that argument. Because I believe in the mission of what this company is trying to do. I see how my smaller actions connect to the bigger picture. Yes, its about profit to a certain degree- and more than that- its about giving some of that profit back to our community. Its about creating a progressive workplace where the employees love the work they do and the people they do it with. Its about educating the public of the many ways they can make a difference in the community and yes- even the world. Every time you purchase something that is made right here in our city, state or region - you are showing your love and helping to support your neighbors by putting food on their own tables.

This is not where I tell you where to shop. My intention here, is to make you aware of the effects actions have in the grocery industry. How we nourish our bodies directly affects the way we nourish our souls. Its all connected. I ask that you look at your beliefs around why you shop at the places you shop. Connect your purchases with a more expanded perspective. Money is energy and we can direct that energy into fear or love. Who you are matters, and how you spend your energy matters. I am not saying that my place of employment is perfect. I myself sell lots of stuff that isn't made in America. I also do go out of my way to showcase artists and craftspeople that do make things in the USA, to create awareness. Part of the collective mission is to educate so that the customer can make an informed choice, every time they shop. Maybe we don't make all local purchases all of the time. But perhaps doing so where it counts, as much as we are able to- is what matters most. Seek out your neighborhood co-ops. Spend an afternoon at the local Farmers Market. Connect with your food and connect with your community.


No comments:

Post a Comment