Somewhere over Colorado
Long Beach Airport, California 10am PST
The day has finally arrived. I am leaving on a jet plane. Destination: Egypt.
My dear friend Julie was promptly at my door for transport to PDX just after 5am. ( Thank you Luscious!!!!) We chatted through sleepiness and excitment about my big girl adventure. We got to departures and I got out and rounded up my luggage. Julie hugged me tightly good-bye and I was off to check-in at the Jet Blue counter.
Once I got my bag checked, I purposefully headed over to Coffee People. If I had known then it would be my last decent cup of joe for 2 weeks, I would have had at least 3 cups or maybe gallons... I meandered further in a sleepy, hungry daze over to Rose's for breakfast. Eggs,hashbrowns, and bacon rounded out the morning meal. I was feeling better, though still exhausted.
There are a lot of firsts for me during this adventure. One of which was the fact that I have never flown with Jet Blue before. Boarding the plane, I was instantly impressed by the friendliness of the crew, the leather seats, and the long list of complimentary snacks and beverages. The captain came out and introduced himself before take-off. Captain James was 6 ft tall, blonde haired and blue eyed with a smile and deamnor of an Orbit gum spokesman. He was charming and smooth as he welcomed us aboard and shared the details of our flight itinerary. I felt very safe and relaxed and ready to jet!
At take off ( my favorite part of flying), I was suddenly overcome with a feeling of intense love. As we headed up, the jets roaring, I could feel every single person who loves me and supports me on this trip, literally pushing the plane forward and up, behind me. My eyes welled up and I felt warm and fuzzy. A little dizzy even. I felt them all hugging me and wishing me well- happy travels and a safe return home. What an amazing send-off to have. ( I would continue to feel the magic of it with me during the remainder of my trip.)
As I said before, there are a lot of firsts for me on this trip. It was my first time using the bathroom on the airplane. Normally, I make a point to not drink many beverages on the flight, so I can avoid using the bathroom. Why would I avoid using the bathroom ?, you must surely be asking yourself. I don't really have a clear answer for you, honestly. I think it's because I usually have a window seat and don't want to walk over people to go. I just hold it. But I decided this time, since there was just one person sitting next to me, that my bladder would dictate otherwise. So I made my past him, and down the aisle. The bathroom was occupied of course, so I stood and waited about 30 seconds. The door opened and a little girl probably 9 or 10 years old, stepped out. She was dressed in a chocolate brown velour track suit. That should have been my clue right there to turn and head the other way. I walked into the tiny bathroom and was immediately met with a pungent smell. I locked the door and turned around to stare at the toilet bowl. Great. Just great. My first time in an airplane bathroom, and I am greeted by the 'Tween's own beef baby surprise. How hard is it to flush the fucking toilet?!!! Thank god I know how. I was in and out in record time.
Captain James' landing was smooth and uneventful. Quite possible the smoothest I have experienced. Nice to be on the ground again. This is not my first time to California or the LA area, but it is my first visit to Long Beach and it's airport. It's gorgeous outside. 70 and sunny. It was warm stepping off the plan and onto the tarmac. So here I am. Sitting around for a few hours, waiting to board my connecting Jet Blue flight to NYC. I am tired, and it's no surprise since I slept so little last night. I was a mildly amped up and there was a wind storm whipping the trees around fiercly, making it hard to fall into a deep restful sleep. " It's ok", I reasoned to myself, " I will just sleep on the plane." Right. That never happens. Planes were not made for sleeping. This has got to be the dinkiest airport ever. Worst music ever. But I admit I find the paging style refreshing " Attention- there is a belt that was left at security. So if anybody forgot to get their belt. It's over here at security. You can come and get it."
Niiicce.
Mercury retrograde note: They are not always bad things that happen, per se. For example, the in-flight direct tv wasn't working. That's ok. They are emailing me a $15. voucher good towards my next flight. Right on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~11:30am
After an attempt at a nap on some semi-cushy and comfortable connected chairs, I "awake" in a panicked flash to realize that " Oh shit! I left all of my travel documents and details in Julie's car! Fuuuuuuuuuccckkkk!"
Immediately I reach for my phone and call Julie.
Ring.
Ring.
*Giggle* " Hello Precious! What's going on ?"
" I have just realized I don't have any of my travel papers with me. I have my passport, but I don't have any of the reservation numbers or addresses. Can you check your car and see if they are there?"
*laughing* "Of course Presh, hold on..."
Pause
*more laughing* " Yep here they are!"
So much for being organized. My panic was soon stifled as JUlie informed me she had a fax machine, and all of my info would be waiting for me at the hotel when I arrived. JULIE IS AMAZING!!!My own fairy godmother.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~11:40am
Getting ready to board for JFK. Yay! Another plane ride!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11:45am
Todd our Jet Blue GAtekeeper, has just informed the mass of people anticipating boarding the airplane, that our flight is being delayed by 20-25 minutes. The plane was late out of Boston. AWESOME. Merc. retro? Quite possible.
12:00am
Or is it? It's EST. It's late. It's dark outside. The flight seemed long and neverending. JFK is huge- an enitiy unto itself. While waiting for my shuttle ride to come and pick me up, I decieded it would be a good idea to get something to eat. Unfortunately I realized this after I claimed my baggage and my only option was a kiosk next to the Dunkin Donuts counter. There were'nt prices on most of the itmes so I went for things that seemed healthy and cheap. Bottled water+clif bar+organic peach yogurt=$8.00. $8.00!!!!!!??
*sigh* damn it. Welcome to NYC!
It's snowing here. It's cold. But it's drivable. Just a few inches. The shuttle driver loads in 5 other people besides me. We are all tired. I am the 2nd to be dropped off. I make it to the hotel and finally up to my room.
Time for sleep. Yes- must sleep now....
No comments:
Post a Comment