Sweet and sassy. True and raw. Isn't life delicious?

Sweet and sassy. True and raw. This is the place I empty my head and open my heart.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Come On and Take A Free Ride...


www.sunriverpinelodges.com

February's Dare to Bare - Learn to Ski and Snowboard is one I have been looking forward to, for many reasons. Mostly because after last month's dare intensity, I wanted the chance to lighten up! Shake it off and take a break from being so serious.

And... I am of course scared shitless.
Uh- uh.

So, let's examine the fear. I feel like James Lipton might be interviewing me. Please imagine him doing so as you read the following Q & A.

Q: So, skiing is sometimes a fatally dangerous sport. Will you be thinking about this as you mount the mountain?
A: Yes. Without question, because knowing myself and the way I work- I must first allow myself to mull over the worst case scenarios. I let myself go all the way to that extreme possibility, work it out of my system, and then work my way back to the other side of the spectrum. Which means, I will be still a little unnerved and cautious, and very willing to go for it.

www.sportwaiver.com


Q: What is is exactly about skiing that gives you fear?
A: A few things actually. And because fear is never rational, here they are in no particular order:
*running into a tree
*that I won't be able to physically do it
*that I will look like a total freak/dork/idiot while attempting this sport
*belief in myself that I am not a sporty person, and therefore incapable of any kind of coordination, grace or athleticism required for such sports
*giving myself a mild to severe to fatal concussion
*wearing a helmet
*not wearing a helmet
*being run over by a snow plow, boarder, or fellow skier
*avalanche
*abominaml snow monster attack
*falling on my face
*injuring my body
a clumsy lift load
*falling off the lift (not really, actually I am looking forward to that ride the most)

Hmmm... they all seem kind of silly once I see them on the monitor. Like I said- fear is never rational.

Q:What are you doing to prepare yourself.. for such an adventure?
A: Reading every book and viewing every DVD that the Washington County Li bray System has available that is even remotely related to skiing/snowboarding (some of them are long shots.. I think there is a frat party early 90's Jim Carey movie in there...). I have a thirst for knowledge. I want to at least have heard some of the lingo and be familiar with what I should expect.I am also going to be purchasing some snow gear- base layer, outer layers, etc.

Q: How did snowboarding come into the picture? I thought skiing was what you were scared of?
A: The truth is- I am even more terrified to snowboard. What changed my mind, was talking to one of my best friends, Athena, who is a boarder and also teaches the sport through a volunteer program. She convinced me that I should give it a try and that she could teach me. She has all of the gear I need for the adventure and she made it easy to say yes. I am prepared to laugh my ass off, equally as much as I will surely fall on it. When I decide to do something- I go ALL THE WAY.



Q: what is the ski plan?
A: From the moment I revealed the dare, my friend Ashley spoke up and said she wanted to learn skiing too. There is a good chance we may be headed to Bend, where her ex-brother-in-law instructs on Mt. Bachelor. I love the idea of not only getting out of town, but also being schooled by a good friend of a friend, with a friend. Two newbies on the mountain- giggles will ensue no doubt. If that plan doesn't come through, Plan B is to head up to Mt. Hood and make a day out of it by taking a lesson package there. Either way- it is happening.

Q: You mentioned low expectations- can you expand on those?
A: I figure, since I have absolutely no idea what I am actually doing, that it's best to embrace the adventure with a positive attitude and open mind. I know I won't be a great skier or snowboarder right away... and maybe never. What I expect is to face my fear that I cannot do it. I want to prove to myself that when set out to try something physically challenging- that no matter the outcome- I feel amazing because I gave it my all. I want to feel the freedom that comes from riding the speed on the mountain, under endless blue sky. I did not come form an athletic or sports minded family, so this kind of attitude towards the great outdoors and the activities associated with it, is brand spanking new. I am trailblazing in my family again- so what else is new, right?

1 comment:

  1. If I can Snowboard you can. Athena will be a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete