Sweet and sassy. True and raw. Isn't life delicious?

Sweet and sassy. True and raw. This is the place I empty my head and open my heart.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Dare to Bare #3- Take A Dance Class:Leapin' into The Belly

It's Leap Year Day today!
Whoo Hoo!
...I don't really know why I got excited there....


Tonight was my first Belly Dance Class. My teacher is really a groovy lady. She encourages a safe space to explore and learn. I dig her style.
I did not dig my style. Thoughts running through my head:

"These mirrors are not my friend".
"I am the only plump girl here."
"There are only 2 other students besides me..."
"I am not wearing a tank top for this class again".
"Wow. I did not know it could burn there".
"Wow. Is that a muscle under there? What a miracle".
"I am so stiff. I feel like a plastic plumpy doll."
"My boobs are huge."
"I can't tell if I am lifting my chest or not."
"jiggling is not always flattering"
"I am never going to get my brain to grasp this dance."
"I will definitely need to practice at home."
"I wish I could relax like a spaghetti noodle."
"be kind to yourself Paula. Never mind what you aren't liking. Close your eyes and feel the muscle isolation."

Its all a totally new way to experience and be aware of my body. I don't think 4 classes will be enough. Maybe I ought to increase my yoga and stretch.....

This is just what I needed, though I am not completely sure what exactly I am getting yet. Maybe it is that it is requiring me to focus attention on parts of my body I don't think about much, or too much. I am getting to know them intimately. What do they feel like when I move them. Isolating is hard for me because it requires so much concentration. Also, doing two physical actions at once is terribly disorienting.

If I could perfectly master just one of the dance moves, I would consider it a success...

1 comment:

  1. "I wish I could relax like a spaghetti noodle." - haha

    ReplyDelete