Sweet and sassy. True and raw. Isn't life delicious?

Sweet and sassy. True and raw. This is the place I empty my head and open my heart.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dare to Bare- Wrap Up: Belly Dance

Q: What was the most difficult part of this month's dare, Take a Dance Class

A:
Quite a lot actually.
1.)staring at myself trying to move my body in foreign rhythms
2.)isolating muscle groups
3.)finding rhythm i.e. getting both sides of my brain to work simultaneously
4.)not beating myself up for catching on


Q: Were there any particular themes that came up, repeatedly for you?
A: Patience. I had to put it in to perspective- how could I expect myself to pick up Belly Dancing over the course of 4 introductory classes? My teacher is a natural dancer and has been doing so for most of her life( and she was awesome, BTW. If anyone is interested in taking Belly, I highly recommend Ziggy at Viscount. Her teaching style is relaxed and informative, and she is so very welcoming and engaging. Thanks Ziggy for helping to make my experience a good one!) I simply could not expect myself to master the dance in such a short time. Did I fall in love with it? No, not quite. That has more to do with the fact that I felt slightly discouraged by what I felt, was a lack of naturally inclined skill. Sure I can shake my ass and I can find the beat of a song- but choreography is a language I don't understand.


Q: When did you feel most vulnerable?
A: Staring back at myself in that giant mirror. It was hard not to compare myself to my teacher and other students. I had to remind myself to "Be Kind and have fun" each time my mind started to go to that place. It was not an easy task to do. Truthfully, my body image issues raged a war that I continue to wrestle with. I suppose it becomes less so, the more one is exposed to that environment. It was jarring for me.

Q:On a scale of 1- 5, rate the difficulty of this dare.
A: 6

Q: How were you inspired by what you learned?
A: Belly Dance began to reawaken the sensuality I had forgotten, lives inside me. I don't need to be in a relationship to experience that. Just my movements of walking down the street and being aware of the natural rhythm of the body is satisfying. Its a reminder that this body and the energy it makes and shares, can be done in various ways. Brushing my teeth can be a sensual experience when I am shimmying my hips. More than anything, the idea that sensuality can infuse every day actions was inspiring. It is fun to be a woman (most of the time). Accepting my body in all of its deliciousness without comparing it to others is inspiring- as well as a philosophy I am carrying with me daily.

Q; So , what's next and what are you looking forward to most about the next dare?
A: Roller skating! Its been at least 20 years since I was on skates. Those days of riding the rink at Skate World in the 80's and 90's has me feeling super nostalgic. And anxious. I am really hesitant to have any of my friends see my on skates, because I am afraid of falling, clinging to the wall, and just looking like a scardey cat all around. But god- how miss the feel of the speed, whipping around those corners with my acid washed jeans and jelly bracelets....
The plan is for me to take some private refresher lessons where I can reacquaint myself with the feeling of being on wheels, as well as gauge how comfortable I am on them. Re-learning the basics like how to stop and turn (20 years, people..I am worried I forgot it all). Then I plan to put together some skate events where any of my friends who want to go out and skate the night away with me, can. Finally, there is a Roller Derby class I also want to take. Cuz in case ya'll missed the memo, I am kind of a bad ass- that may or may not translate on skates. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment