Sweet and sassy. True and raw. Isn't life delicious?

Sweet and sassy. True and raw. This is the place I empty my head and open my heart.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

rockin' my world

My friend Christina*, the brilliant masseuse, came over last night to give me a long awaitined hot stone massage. It was so amazing. Actually that doesn't even really do it justice. It was beyond. Its such a simple thing to let our selves be vulnerable and touched, thoguh we find it hard in our busy lives, more often than not, to make time for it. This is something that needs to be ingrained in us, because it helps us to accept who are- all of it- the perfect and the imperfect. Allowing our bodies to just be the center of our attention in such a kind way.

I am finding how important it is that we do kind things for our bodies, because it does the soul so much good. I am working on being present in my skin and feeling whatever comes up for me about it. The goal is to be comfortable in this skin, even as it shifts and changes, because its the only one I have in this life. I'd like to take care of it and help it to be amazing at every level.

All around us we are bombarded with images of "how we are supposed to look". The pages in magazines glisten back at us, mocking us." Oh what, you aren't a size zero with legs up to there and a rack you could eat dinner off of? Well, then you're useless. You'll never be worth anything." That is a false belief, that sadly to many women (and guys too) take on as their mantras.

There is a perfect balance, so they say, of brains and beauty. It's not about haveing a phd and a 21 inch waist per say. I think its more about being smart enough to know, own and live our true beauty everyday. Maya Angelou had it right.

Phenomenal Woman
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment