Sweet and sassy. True and raw. Isn't life delicious?

Sweet and sassy. True and raw. This is the place I empty my head and open my heart.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Big Bad-Ass Egyptian Adventure: Egypt Day 1


Egypt


Cairo International Airport

Our plane touched down at Cairo International Airport around 12pm. I am anxious. I can't see much out of the window across the aisle, but I what I do see is brown.
Stepping off the plane and down the silver steps, I make my way towards the shuttle that sits waiting. Is the one I am supposed to get on? No one has given me instruction and my very tired brain is still on meltdown. I get on, and hold on. Destination unknown.
The air is warm, and the sounds of the plane are lingering in the air. The shuttle snakes around the the airport gate. I head inside knowing only that I need to look for the words "Friendly Planet". Almost as soon as I remember what words I am looking for, I see them. Our tour director stands holding his clipboard high. There is frantic activity as many of the other passengers who arrived are locating their own tour company's, with the natives just trying to get through the sea of tourists through customs and home to their families.
Our tour director, I first guess to be at least 5 years older than me- not because he looks it, but because he is so to tall. Maybe he is 6 feet tall? I am not sure, being 5' 1'' everyone is taller than me. Still I am grateful for his strong stature because immediately I am comforted and made to feel safe. This guy is taking care of me, I think. He stands tall with broad shoulders, warm, smart, easy brown eyes behind trendy frames, and a quick welcoming smile quickly work their magic on my nerves. Our eyes meet and I say something about how I belong in this group and what my name is. I don't really remember because I am so tired and my sensations are on overload. I feel stupid, clumsy, and awkward. Not too mention I know I look disheveled and very unsexy. He smiles and puts his arm on my back to guide me to the other members of the group assembling. "My name is Mostafa. Welcome to Egypt." Welcome indeed, I thought to myself. I was feeling a spark; an attraction. Whoa, whoa, whoa hold up Paula!!!! You did not come on this vacation, halfway around the world, to be distracted by the opposite sex. You came here for you. To sort things out in your head and be independent of emotional connections. Besides, you are probably imagining things that are not there. Still, I could not escape the feeling that perhaps my tour director might possibly also be feeling the spark. His professionalism was keeping it hidden, and whatever was there was being sensed on my part without evidence.



First stamp! I am officially in Egypt, Baby!

Mostafa gathers us all in group and explains the visa and customs process. I always get a little paranoid when I have to do anything official. Though I have absolutely no reason to be worried- it's not like I am smuggling pot into the country. I am just in another country for the first time, as a curious American tourist. Plus, given my history, I have incredible luck at being the one to get in trouble for doing something that began from innocent intentions (remember my arrest in 2000? Yeah... case in point...).
Once out of customs, smoothly I might add, our group is gathering at the baggage claim. Sam and Martha from Texas have introduced themselves at this point, and I like them both immensely instantly. Southern hospitality in Egypt.
As we wait for the bags, I am eager to set my eyes on my own bag. I won't be able to relax until I know it's here with me. Please, please, please, Dear Sweet Luggage be here! I silently pray, beg and plead. I waited for about 5 minutes, and then there it was- my little red suitcase with it's pink and white polka dot ribbon. Big sigh of relief. "Ok", I thought, " I am ready to see Egypt!"
Mostafa leads us through the airport to our bus. I am absolutely giddy inside because I know I am minutes away from a bed. Sleep. I want it bad.
Exiting the airport, we drive onwards towards Cairo. Mostafa begins speaking on the microphone to the small group of fourteen of us.


The back of Mostafa's head and our driver. I want to say his name was Mohammed...we had so many drivers.

Admittedly, I don't hear much of what he is saying, or paying much attention to the faces in my group due to my sleep-deprived state. I do hear Mostafa's very heartfelt "Thank you" as he explains how grateful he is for himself and behalf of his countrymen, that we are here and ready to experience Egypt. Tourism in Egypt has felt the sting of the global economic crisis. I am so glad I came, I think. In times like these, it feels good to know that my hard-earned money goes to people who truly appreciate it. This is how we help each other.


This is a cropped section of a mural that is tiled on the highway from the airport.

Taking out my camera, I begin to snap pictures as we drive along. I am overwhelmed and not quite sure what to capture. How do I scoop up every single thing my eyes are seeing so that later, when I am home and in a more well-rested state than I am at present, remember? I snap away the 45 minutes to the hotel. Or maybe it was an hour? Who knows. Time became inceasingly unimportant to me. That trend would continue throughout my journey.


Street in one of the poorer parts of Cairo


beautiful, smoggy Cairo


Street Store on the corner across the street from the Ramses Hilton



this is the street the hilton entrance is on. The driveway is to the left.


The Ramses Hilton. I got this photo online, because for some reason I didn't take a picture of it myself.

Arriving at the Rames Hilton, I am overjoyed inside. "GIVE ME THE KEY" is what is going through my mind as Mostafa gives instruction for checking in, meeting up for breakfast tomorrow, and the impending agenda. I was the last one to get my key from Mostafa, and I stood there, trying not to feel awkward, desperately wanting the key, and finding myself wanting to flirt all at the same time. Words were tumbling out of my mouth and I could not tell you even now, what I was saying. I know that I was laughing at what I was saying. Making jokes to deflect from the attraction I was feeling. He was laughing too, and made some offer of meeting up for coffee together sometime. Holy crap I thought. There it is. Yep. Ok. Got to go. I am scared of feeling attracted to him and it's only my first day. I wanted to say yes and agree on a time, but more than that- I wanted to sleep and get my bearings together.
I said goodbye and hurried up to my room and into the safety of the room that awaited me on the 8th floor.
Once in my room, I literally dropped everything. Looked around and began peeling off my clothes. Ugh. I stunk. My deodorant didn't survive the trip. Into the shower to wash off the smell of travel. I would like to take a moment here to comment on just how important showers are for me. No matter how bad I am feeling in life, I always come out a better Paula after a shower. They are sacred to me. And even in relationships, I still prefer to waste water and shower solo.
Anyhoo, after the shower, I flung myself on the bed, still wrapped in a towel. My hair was snuggly wrapped up in a towel as well. And as I drifted off into the first of many naps on this journey, I was overcome with a feeling of deep relaxation.


Egyptian money. Pretty, dirty money

Several hours later, I dress and head off in search of food. I pick the Terrace cafe because it's the only name I can remember. I want to eat cheap and light this evening. It's about 7pm by this time, and I am still in a fog. Jet lag is harsh. It's buffet in the restaurant and after sitting for a few minutes with a bottle of water, gathering my thoughts and mapping my steps in my fog, I head towards the food.
Nothing struck me as fabulous. I took a a picture of my food. It was alright. Salad, falafel, veggies, potatoes... Maybe some chicken. All of it was really forgettable. I ate slowly. Halfway through my meal, I was ready to be done. I remembered that I wanted to find a computer to write home. There was one thing that was truly unforgettable about my first meal in Cairo- the bill.


Here is the view from the restaurant window. I will never forget sitting there eating dinner, and feeling strangely comforted by the smooth vocal stylings of Lionel Richie, crooning away about how he was "Stuck on You". Never.


$40.00 dinner. This is what happens when you are jet-lagged, hungry, and alone.


$40.00 later, I was on my way to the Business Center where Ahmed helped me get set up to connect with my peeps. Most of you all know, from the email I sent that night, much of what I have detailed in this entry. And Athena was right- emailing home is a great souvenir for myself. It takes me back to where I was and what I was feeling writing home for the first time away.
I headed back to my room, once the allotted and expensive 30 minutes were up. It was around 9pm. And I was ready for bed again. Had to be up early for breakfast and our first day of sightseeing in Cairo.


Oh yeah baby. I have been waiting all day for this. Sweet Dreams.

1 comment: