Hello from New York! Day 2
There is an excited buzz here, as we inch closer to inauguration. Unfortunately, I will be stuck in a shuttle en route to JFK while Obama is sworn in. I am hoping I will at least be able to hear it...I only have a few minutes before my ride shows up, so I will highlight briefly.
My accomodations were severely lacking. The Portland Square Hotel is an old, quaint building. It's just ok. The staff isn't very friendly- but then that could just be New York. The age of the building means that it has radiant heat- which you can never turn off. My tiny room is like a fuckin oven! But whatev. I figure it's gearing me up for Egypt's climate a bit. You get what you pay for. $85. a night to be 2 blocks down from Times Square and a little farther from Grand Central Station= pretty damn good.
NYC feels very comfortable. Love it. Feel perfectly at home. Met up and spent the day with Diane yesterday and had such a great, great time.
We walked all around the city, took the Stanton Island Ferry for pizza (very fun and authentic, Di! The bus ride and the pizza!) It was snowing here in the city yesterday. So seeing the Brooklyn Bridge and the Statue of Liberty was kinda hard. Later that night, we went to Chickalicious. OMG. It was such a fun & perfect experience.
Individual french presses of coffee for each of us. Warmed us right up.
Chickalicious is a place where it is all about dessert. You are served 3 dessert courses. This is Di tasting the first course, "The Amuse". It was a pecan ice cream in a chocolate jele'. Sweet and simple.
This was my main course. the first thing was a shredded wheat-type base with a banana salad on top. Then it is accompanied by a scoop of chocolate pudding and milk froth. It was just lovely. Lots of perfect, rich little bites.
What made it even better is going to the other Chickalicious location we discovered after, across the street. They had CUPCAKES!!! YOU KNOW I WAS ALL OVER THAT!
Di had a carmel filled delight. (UNBELIEVABLE!) I enjoyed a red velvet with vanilla cream cheese frosting (YUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYY!)
Shhhhhh..quiet. Red and I are having an intimate moment....
I took it as a huge compliment last night, as I was walking back to my hotel after Di left me for her commute back to Connecticut, that both an Irish couple and a car full of what I think were Italians, stopped me to ask if I " knew were any pubs were" or how to get to Rockefeller Center". Both times I answered, "Sorry I am not from here". They both wished me well, with the Italians exclaiming " Welcome to the club!" as they drove off." Nice. Thanks New York, for making me feel at home and a part of you :)
No comments:
Post a Comment