Sweet and sassy. True and raw. Isn't life delicious?

Sweet and sassy. True and raw. This is the place I empty my head and open my heart.

Monday, July 18, 2011

seizing the summer

I have been MIA for a while here it would seem.
There has been much happening in my world and nothing much at all at the same time.

There are three weeks left until I leave for my new job. I am counting the days as my restlessness and excitement at the next adventure inch closer.I 'll be managing the homegoods department at the new store near Tigard. I am looking forward to a change in scenery, staff, and focus. It could not have come at a better time in my life. Until the day the doors open for business, there is lots of ordering, receiving and merchandising to be done. I can't wait!

The biggest news by far in my world, is that my landlord and I are in talks for me to purchase the Magic Cottage next Spring. This will be a dream come true! I am in the process of creating a savings plan, finding a Realtor (I have gotten some wonderful references), and learning about the home buying process. I am terrible at saving money, and have now found motivation to learn how to get good at it! I am also allowing myself to envision a life with roots here. I feel so fortunate: everything that is meant to be finds a way....

What free time I have lately, I am spending with friends, acupuncture, at the gym, cleaning up my house, doing laundry, shopping, cooking, taking the occasional nap and wedding clients. I have even managed to catch a few shows in the last couple of months. I have been seizing the summer as much as possible, though I regret there hasn't been much time for reading. (I dream of getting a hammock next summer, once the major landscaping has been done- to read on a lazy, warm afternoon....doesn't that sound lovely?) I haven't been able to hike with my brothers like I wanted- it so hard for us to line up our schedules. Plus I injured my foot a few weeks back, and am finally all healed up. (yard work can be dangerous, kids.)

There is a part of me that feels overwhelmed by all that needs to get done around the yard. My focus this year has been on creating the layout of the yard. The vegetable garden never went in...next year. I did plant some flowers from seeds- they are sprouting and I hope they grow and bloom! I don't have much of a green thumb. My budget doesn't allow for much energy invested in landscaping. All of the planting that I want to do will just have to wait until next year.
I have visions of making over the fire pit area, planting hydrangeas, and building a deck or putting a slate patio (I can't decide which would be better. I can't afford to do this anytime soon, so thinking about it is as far as it goes. Maybe in a couple of years.)

I am taking a staycation, the last week in July. I had originally planned to head out to the east coast to visit friends, and when I was suddenly given the opportunity to purchase the Magic Cottage, i thought it best to use my money more wisely and put it towards my down payment savings initiative. (I am literally itching to get on a plane though. *sigh* Hopefully next Summer I will have the chance to fly off somewhere for a week...

Staycation plans will consist of yard work, cooking, making art, perhaps a trip to the library, and general relaxation without any appointments. I may have brunch with a friend, catch up with my BFF and get my ducks in a row before I start my new job (new schedule for the the month of August M-F. Weird. I don't know if I am going to like it...)

I am also looking forward to my family reunion in August, at my aunt's in Longview. It has been over a decade since all of my family was last together. Making some new memories, remembering old ones and getting to know where I come form and who I share the family tree with will be nice, I think.

Family is a funny thing for me. As I have gotten older, I seem to distanced myself from them. Even my brothers, who I am closest to in my family- I don't see them much (and one of them works with me! Not for much longer though...) As I mentioned before, our schedule are hard to line up. Some of that distance is naturally occurring due to my tendency towards independence. Truly, I enjoy spending time on my own to create, recharge, and take care of me. I have to schedule this time off for myself, or else it doesn't happen.( Honestly, I enjoy having to plan out my days- there is a large part of me that craves structure and routine. But within those structures, there must be flexibility or I rebel.) Once I have had enough time on my own, I then reach out to those I haven't seen in awhile and want to connect with. Which again, is why a family reunion sounds like such fun! We have all been off doing our own thing, and because we are all so different from each there, multiple perspectives and experiences can be shared. Differences fascinate me.

Ahh look at me rambling on today. I needed a break from the reorganization of the studio loft I have embarked on today. I am smack dab in the midst of sorting things out. BY tomorrow, I hope to have conquered it. My goal is to actually use the studio to make some art on my staycation, instead of dread coming up here because I can't find anything. I intend to post pics here when I finish, to compare against the ones I posted a few entries back.

Its mid-July already. My goodness how time flies! Hope you all are enjoying your summer too, seizing the moments everyday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment