Sweet and sassy. True and raw. Isn't life delicious?

Sweet and sassy. True and raw. This is the place I empty my head and open my heart.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Potato Salad and the seizing of summer




So I have started this thing called Seize the Summer. It was inspired by a few things-
1.) I have a big beautiful backyard
2.)I have great friends I love to hang out with, though there isn't always the time to do so
3.) It's summer and the livin' is easy

I decided to combine all of these things together in an inspired way, inviting any of my friends to come and seize the summer with me one night a week. The BBQ will be planned for a different night each week, so as to allow for everyone who wants to come, to be able to do so at least once or twice.
Last week was week number one and it was quite successful though very, very hot. With temperatures in the triple digits, those in attendance took turns misting each other down with a spray bottle while indulging in grilled delights and soulful salad creations.

Speaking of soulful salad creations- this week I have endeavored to make potato salad. It has been at least 10 years since I have made this salad. We used to eat it a lot growing up. All of the women in my family make a delicious version. My Grandma Peggy started the tradition of incorporating black olives and I believe dill pickles and maybe fresh dill (or it could just be my imagination), my mother followed her mother's recipe closely sans fresh dill but with slightly more onion, cucumber and mayonnaise. My dad's mother also made a scrumptious version. Grandma Pauline's potato salad made rare appearances in my childhood because more times often than not, her macaroni salad was requested. Her Potato salad was sans olives and cucumbers, but I am sure there were definitely some of my Grandpa's dill pickles in there. Grandma Pauline's signature was hard-boiled egg slices sprinkled with paprika and artfully placed on the top of the salad. Very 1940's-1950's. And it was my favorite part.
As I made the salad today, I had memories of all of these women present in my kitchen. Bits and pieces of afternoons spent eating BBQ and potato salad. Each of these women, whether they know it or not, as influenced me on many levels. And as tribute, I named this potato salad in honor of all of them, while adding my own flavor.

Three Geminis and a Sag Potato Salad






2 lbs. red potatoes, boiled and roughly cubed
1 whole onion- I used Walla Walla because it is in season, and also after reading my friend Tyson's blog, I felt inclined to partake. )
4 dill pickles, chopped (I used 2 and in retrospect feel it needed more)
2 cans of Sliced black olives (I used one, two is better)
6 hard-boiled eggs, save two for garnish
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 large cucumber, chopped
2-3 tbspns. fresh dill (save 1 tbspn. to sprinkle as garnish)
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise (I barely had a cup and it's fine. I added some pickle juice to stretch it out a bit.)
1-2 tbsp. of yellow mustard
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tsp.+ salt
1tsp.+pepper
paprika for garnish


Add potatoes, onion, olives, pickles, cucumber, celery, dill and eggs in an extra large mixing bowl.
In a small bowl, combine the mayo, mustard, vinegar, pickle juice, salt and pepper. Mix well. Pour over the rest of the ingredients; combine gently until dressing is thoroughly incorporated.
Take the last 2 hard-boiled eggs and put them though an egg slicer, or slice them very thinly. Artfully arranged over the top of the salad. Sprinkle with paprika and dill. Cover and chill at least an hour.
This salad is always better the next day, after the flavors have had a day or so to marry and live happily ever after.

*post-editing note* the potato salad turned out splendidily. IN attendance last night were Derrick, and our good friends/co-workers Belinda & Tyson. We enjoyed a warm summer evening of hot dogs, corn on the cob, watermelon, beer and of course the aformentioned salad. MAny laughs were had over a game of "Loaded Questions" and visions of hot pockets surely danced in all of our heads last night.....

1 comment:

  1. That was some damn-fine potato salad, which is usually not my thing. But it was one of the best I've had... perfect with hot dogs and watermelon. And numerous Hot Pockets references.

    ReplyDelete