Sweet and sassy. True and raw. Isn't life delicious?

Sweet and sassy. True and raw. This is the place I empty my head and open my heart.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

the House in Frisco

This morning as I was cleaning up around my apartment, I had tuned into Pandora radio on the internet. The first song that played was "Our House" by Crosby Stills and Nash. Hearing the music flood into my cozy little living room, suddenly took me back 5 years ago to a memeory I have never shared with a soul.
It was June of 2004. My cousin Cj and I had flown into San Jose to see Madonna in concert there. We had decided to stay in San Francisco, which was a short drive away, maybe 30 minutes. I had rented a car- a red Chrysler Sabring. We had spent a few days in San Francisco before and after the concert just hanging around. It was not our first trip together there, but it would be our last. We had fun- shopping, eating, seeing the city. Finally it was time to go- Cj was flying back home to Portland and I was flying out to North Carolina to visit my mom and youngest brother, who were living there at the time. So, I drove Cj the short distance back to San Jose's airport for his flight back. And on the way back to San Fran, there I was mid- day alone in one of my favorite cities, driving down the freeway. I was contemplating life, and the recent death of my father that February. I had the radio tuned to a local station and a listener had called in with a request. It was a woman, calling to request the above mentioned song, and dedicated it to her partner. She said her wife and her were home that Sunday morning enjoying a lazy day of working around the house. Maybe there were kids. Definately there were animals- cats &/or dogs. I remember thinking how lovely that sounded- to hear such a cozy little scene between two people who were enjoying their life together, and hoping for that kind of satisfaction one day in my own life.
Five years later, I am living on my own in the tiny Boundary street apartment. So much has shifted since then. Missing my Dad no longer hurts like it did then. And while I am still very much looking forward to one day sharing my own cozy Sunday afternoon's with someone, I am content simply to recall those moments driving along the bay, blue sky, song on the radio and in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment